Sacred Cyberspace

Carving out a little piece of cyber-space for a bunch of people to discuss, work through, share real matters of faith.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Hello, how are you today?

Maybe this akin to beating the ol' dead horse, but I was curious what you all have been thinking about.

I have to admit, I've been thinking a lot about our Bible study on James 2. I found it so brilliant how James contrasts our own imperfect judgments with God's perfect and merciful judgment, exposing the darker underbelly of playing favourites based on appearance.

So here's what I'm wondering: have you ever been judged (favorably or unfavorably) because of how you look/looked/dressed? Or seen obvious preferential treatment? How did it make you feel?

3 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

Well, I'll go first, because it's my question. And, well, because I want to. Actually, it's not a personal story,(breaking myown rules) but one that happened to a friend of mine, Denise. That's her real name. No changing names to protect the innocent with me. Denise is, apparently, very attractive. I don't recall her being so in highschool, but now she is. People give her stuff for free all the time as, I don't know, a testament (?) to her beauty. Whether it's free muffins in the coffee shop or free taxi rides, Denise has a lot of things handed to her because of how she looks.
Here's the thing, though. Her high school friends, myself included, hate being around her. No one wants to call her when we all get together because she's become so obnoxious and self-absorbed. Denise USED to be the person I thougt would save the world, or at least dedicate her life to trying to better the world.

Monday, February 27, 2006 2:25:00 p.m.  
Blogger jpunk5 said...

when i was in high school i was followed around in stores all the time. that made me feel excellent!!

Friday, March 03, 2006 10:20:00 a.m.  
Blogger Tom said...

Having a long beard at a younger age tends to change the impression people have of me, but the net effect has been zero as far as I could tell.

I've been thinking furiously lately, about what I'm doing, where I'm going, what this life in my hands should mean. As usual I'm not getting very far but it's probably good I'm at least thinking about it again.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 7:04:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home